Patient Care Technician - PCT (1st & 2nd Shifts available)
Company: Fresenius Medical Care
Posted on: September 18, 2022
Job Description Appleton, Wisconsin Job ID R0043179
This opening is part of an expansion within the organization.
1st Shift - 4:30 AM -1:30 PM
2nd Shift - 1:00 PM - 10:00 PM
PURPOSE AND SCOPE:
Supports FMCNA's mission, vision, core values and customer service
philosophy. Adheres to the FMCNA Compliance Program, including
following all regulatory and FMS policy requirements.
Functions as part of the hemodialysis health care team in providing
safe and effective dialysis therapy for patients under the direct
supervision of a licensed nurse in accordance with FMCNA policies,
procedures, and training and in compliance with regulations set
forth by the corporation, state, and federal agencies. Responsible
for the setup and operation of hemodialysis machines. Assist in the
maintenance of a safe and clean working environment. Supports the
FMCNA commitment to the Quality Enhancement Program (QEP) and CQI
Activities, including those related to patient satisfaction and
actively participates in process improvement activities that
enhance the likelihood that patients will achieve the FMC Quality
Enhancement Goals (QEP).
DUTIES / ACTIVITIES:
* Responsible for driving the FMS culture through values and
customer service standards.
* Accountable for outstanding customer service to all external and
* Develops and maintains effective relationships through effective
and timely communication.
* Takes initiative and action to respond, resolve and follow up
regarding customer service issues with all customers in a timely
PRINCIPAL RESPONSIBILITIES AND DUTIES
* Assist other health care members in providing patient specific
detailed education regarding adequacy measures where appropriate -
Online Clearance Monitoring (OLC), Adequacy Monitoring Program
(AMP), Urea Kinetic Modeling (UKM), and regarding disease
* Welcome assigned patients and inquire as to their well-being
since their last treatment. Report any complaints or observations
to the nurse supervisor.
* Evaluate vascular access for patency and report any unusual
findings to nurse supervisor.
* Obtain necessary pre and post treatment vital signs and weight.
Report unusual findings to nurse supervisor.
* Perform vascular access evaluation pre-treatment and report
unusual findings to nurse supervisor.
* Perform vascular access cannulation and report any difficulties
in cannulation or unusual findings to nurse supervisor.
* Perform administration of Heparin as delegated or as allowed by
* Initiate dialysis treatment according to prescribed orders
including blood flow (QB) and dialysate flow (QD).
* Evaluate intradialytic problems and provide intervention as
prescribed by physician order or as directed.
* Monitor patients' response to dialysis therapy and report any
unusual findings to nurse supervisor.
* Obtain vital signs prior to reinfusion; perform all relevant
functions necessary for the discontinuation of treatment -
* Discontinue dialysis treatment according to established
* Evaluate patient prior to termination of venous access - standing
& sitting blood pressure.
* Obtain Hemostasis and apply appropriate dressings.
* Evaluate the patient for prior to discharge and report any
unusual findings to nurse supervisor.
* Perform and record Pre and Post dialysis evaluation, weight and
vital signs with initial identification.
* Responsible for calculating and entry of individual patients'
dialysis machine programming for Ultrafiltration (UF) goal;
treatment time; Sodium (Na) modeling; and UF modeling as
* Responsible for ensuring appropriate safety alarms are enabled,
including Narrow Venous Limits (NVL) 160.
* Record accurate and timely information regarding vital signs and
treatment parameters onto the Hemodialysis Treatment Sheet with
* Responsible for accurate documentation of information related to
patient treatment including completion of Hemodialysis Treatment
Sheet and, if applicable, progress notes.
* Report any significant information and/or change in patient
condition directly to the nurse supervisor.
* Observe patient, and conduct machine safety checks according to
facility policy. Report any change or unusual findings to the nurse
* Perform and document any intervention for unusual patient status
and document patients' response to intervention.
* Evaluate patients' vascular access during treatment including
arterial and venous monitoring pressures, provide appropriate
intervention as needed, document and report any unusual findings to
the nurse supervisor.
* Obtain all prescribed laboratory testing and prepare specimens
* Maintain environmental integrity and aesthetics - ensure all
areas are safe and clean.
* Clean and disinfect dialysis machine surface, chair, equipment,
and surrounding area between treatments according to facility
* Conduct all tasks necessary for preparation for dialysis
treatment and document where appropriate.
* Perform all required pretreatment dialysis machine alarm testing
including Pressure Holding (PHT).
* Initiate Solution Delivery System (SDS) system.
* Ensure that all blood spills are immediately cleaned with
appropriate disinfectant according to facility policy.
* Prepare, organize, and efficiently utilize supplies and equipment
to prevent wastage.
CLERICAL & ADMINISTRATIVE:
* Complete and document ongoing participation in Continuous Quality
Improvement (CQI) activities.
* Enters all treatment data into the designated clinical
application accurately and in a timely manner.
* Review treatment sheets for completeness, ensure nursing
signatures are documented, and ensure omitted entries are completed
or corrected where appropriate.
* Prepare initial patient chart for admission and compile paperwork
for appropriate placement in chart.
* Prepare lab requisitions for prescribed or stat Lab specimens
according to laboratory destination.
* Collect, label, appropriately prepare and store lab samples
according required laboratory specifications.
* Ensure collection of lab specimens by appropriate lab
* Perform additional duties as assigned.
ADDENDUM FOR PATIENT CARE TECHNICIANS WORKING IN THE HOME PROGRAMS
(NOT HOME ASSIST):
Assisting the HT RN:
* May assist HT RN on Home Visit as directed
* Reinforces PD / HHD education under supervision of qualified HT
* Schedules and contacts patients regarding appointments
* Weigh patient and obtain vital signs
* Collect treatment records and review for completion. Notify RN of
incomplete / missing records.
* Cleaning and prepping treatment room; prep charts
* Preparing lab tubes and requisitions & assisting with lab draw
days both pre and post draw (PCT certified phlebotomy or per state
* Clerical duties as assigned (faxing, mailing to physician offices
* Obtain home hemo water sampling as directed by the HT RN
* Set-up of the home hemo machine and PD Cycler.
* Assist with exit site care when directed by HT RN.
* Warm dialysate solution when directed by the HT RN
* Draw dialysate solution for testing as directed by the HT RN
* Creates and sends patient reminders (supply inventory for order,
Kt/V collection, bringing meds to clinic visit for review)
* Assembles/breaks down charts/thins charts
* Maintains logs as directed and applicable
* Inventory of Home Program
* Maintains par levels of home department supplies
* Files home patient packing slips/invoices
* Inventory for Patients
* Assists patient with supply management and contacting customer
PHYSICAL DEMANDS AND WORKING CONDITIONS:
The physical demands and work environment characteristics described
here are representative of those an employee encounters while
performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable
accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities
to perform the essential functions.
Employees are required to take the Ishihara's Color Blindness test
as a condition of employment. Note that: Failing the Ishihara Test
Blindness does not preclude employment. The Company will consider
whether reasonable accommodations can be made.
Day to day work includes desk and personal computer work and
interaction with patients, facility staff and physicians. The
position requires travel between assigned facilities and various
locations within the community. Travel to regional, Business Unit
and Corporate meetings may be required.
The work environment is characteristic of a health care facility
with air temperature control and moderate noise levels. May be
exposed to infectious and contagious diseases/materials
The position provides direct patient care that regularly involves
heavy lifting and moving of patients, and assisting with
ambulation. Equipment aids and/or coworkers may provide assistance.
This position requires frequent, prolonged periods of standing and
the employee must be able to bend over. The employee may
occasionally be required to push and/or pull equipment, exerting up
to 15 pounds of force. The employee may be required to lift and to
lower solutions on a frequent basis of up to 30 lbs., and on an
occasional lift basis up to 40 lbs., as high as 5 feet. There is a
two-person assist program and material assist devices for the
* Center for Medicaid/Medicare Services (CMS)-approved state and/or
national certification or High School diploma or G.E.D. and must
meet certification requirements within the required state or CMS
* All appropriate state licensure, education and training (if any)
EXPERIENCE AND REQUIRED SKILLS
* Previous patient care experience in a hospital setting or related
* Continued employment is dependent on successful completion of the
FMCNA dialysis training program and successful completion of CPR
EO/AA Employer: Minorities/Females/Veterans/Disability/Sexual
Fresenius Medical Care North America maintains a drug-free
workplace in accordance with applicable federal and state laws.
Keywords: Fresenius Medical Care, Appleton , Patient Care Technician - PCT (1st & 2nd Shifts available), Professions , Appleton, Wisconsin
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!