Bus Driver - Part Time
Company: City of Appleton
Posted on: June 7, 2021
This position is responsible for the part-time day-to-day
operation of a city bus as well as school routes. Work involves
safety inspection of bus prior to use, transporting citizens to and
from designated bus stops, collection of fares, and daily record
keeping. Work is performed under the general supervision of the
Transit Operations Supervisors.
Examples of Duties
Essential Job Functions
- Drives city or tripper routes on a part-time basis; boards and
discharges passengers, including wheelchair passengers, at
designated bus stops; collects fares from passengers; answers
questions and gives directions.
- Performs routine safety inspections on vehicle prior to taking
bus onto public roadway and at end of shift.
- Communicates and monitors radio while on duty to ensure
passenger and public safety, effective transfers, and on-time
- Records ridership information and logs daily fare
- Checks bulletin board, daily assignment board, and is up to
date on route information, schedule changes, detour information,
weather conditions, etc.
- Maintains regular punctual and predictable attendance, works
overtime and extra hours as required.
Other Job Functions
- Distributes printed informational materials to passengers.
- Monitors and maintains the interior and exterior condition of
Requires experience or the ability to learn the operation of
buses and related equipment supplemented by experience in public
relations activities or any equivalent combination of experience
and training which provides the following knowledge, abilities and
- Considerable knowledge of defensive driving techniques.
- Knowledge in the basic mechanical operation of buses and other
- Knowledge in the use and operation of radio communications
- Ability to drive a bus safely and on schedule in all weather
- Ability to read and understand street maps and directions.
- Ability to cope with stress, make independent decisions and
exercise sound judgement in stressful or emergency situations and
follow time tables.
- Ability to withstand local weather conditions.
- Ability to maintain effective relationships with other
employees and the public and to deal with the public in a courteous
and tactful manner.
- Ability to pass the pre-employment physical and drug
- Ability to comply with the City Drug and Alcohol Policy.
- Ability to effectively deal with ADA service requirements in a
safe, effective manner.
- Reliability in attendance and promptness in reporting to
- Possess and maintain a valid Wisconsin Class B Commercial
Driver's License (CDL) with the P endorsement and a Federal Medical
Candidates will select one of the schedule options below and may
obtain additional hours by making themselves available for other
Option #1 - Union represented Part Time Driver
Monday - Friday 5:00 a.m. - 1:00 p.m. & Saturday 7:25 a.m.- 3:00
1B. Availability Monday - Saturday 1:00 p.m. - 11:00 p.m.
Option #2 - Union represented Part Time Driver
Availability 3 days per week (with one day being a Saturday
every other week)
5:00 a.m. - 11:00 p.m. (Saturday shift start would be 7:25
Option #3 - Union represented Tripper Drivers
Availability for tripper routes Monday - Friday 6:00 a.m. - 8:45
a.m. AND 2:00 p.m. - 5:00 p.m.(when school is not in sessions Part
Time Tripper Driver may sign the overtime board listing when they
are available. On dates with delayed school start, Tripper Drivers
would be exempt from being available for the a.m. shift.)
Keywords: City of Appleton, Appleton , Bus Driver - Part Time, Other , Appleton, Wisconsin
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!