Company: Thrivent Financial for Lutherans
Posted on: June 6, 2021
The Principal Accountant role performs professional accounting
activities in support of various Thrivent Affiliates for
specialized, complex and/or functional areas requiring subject
matter expertise and professional application of accounting
principles, practices, and techniques in accordance with industry
standards, current laws, and in accordance with Generally Accepted
Accounting Principles (GAAP). Drives analysis, development, and
integration of new or revised accounting and business policies and
procedures. Collaboration, partnership and active stakeholder
management with Affiliate Business and Finance leadership and
Affiliate Accounting staff in performing duties, while also working
independently under broad direction, is critical to success in this
role. The affiliate principal accountant also serves as the primary
contact for annual external financial audit(s).
It's an exciting time at Thrivent! The individual that will
thrive in this role embraces supporting an evolving environment as
the company drives innovation and change.
Job Duties and Responsibilities
- Active involvement and ability to create strong relationships
with Affiliate business leaders and senior accounting staff to
provide valuable finance expertise and decision support.
- Prepares and/or directs the preparation of specialized or
highly complex journal entries, providing technical advice and
training as needed.
- Ability to research and apply current accounting guidance and
create new accounting processes in accordance with GAAP.
- Reviews account reconciliations prepared by Accounting staff
for accuracy and completeness in line with internal policy
- Assures timely and accurate production of accounting
information and proper accounting controls to protect integrity of
- Lead the preparation of materials for internal and external
auditors and other regulatory exams.
- Develops financial reports and pro-forma financial statements,
reviews detailed accounting information, and provides analysis of
evolving and complex transactions for management.
- Performs analysis of financial results including profitability,
revenue and expense trends, cash flow requirements, trend changes
and variances to budget and prior year.
- Prepare monthly forecasting and annual budget information
utilizing internal and external financial factors and reporting
- Creates presentations for management and board of
- Represent Affiliate accounting in corporate projects to review
and transform the current ERP system, proposing recommendations
considering Affiliate reporting requirements.
- Potential involvement in M&A activities as the Affiliate
space grows and evolves.
Required Job Qualifications
- Bachelor's degree in Accounting, Finance, or Business
Administration required; advanced degree in finance or professional
designation (CPA, CMA, MBA) preferred.
- 5+ years professional accounting experience required.
- High level GAAP accounting experience or public accounting
- Advanced skills in spreadsheet and database applications
- Experience in PowerPoint with desire to develop executive level
presentation skills preferred.
Other Critical Factors
- Ability to be successful in a fast-paced environment where day
to day responsibilities will be changing and evolving.
- In-depth knowledge of accounting principles, or tax statutes
and regulations theory and practices.
- Demonstrated ability to research, understand and explain highly
complex accounting concepts and internal control principals and
provide recommendations to management.
- Strong communicator with the ability to work with
Finance/Accounting and business partners in multiple
- Strong critical thinking skills and ability to creatively
analyze data, collaborating with business partners and coworkers
and proactively seeking out information on emerging issues or best
- Strong attention to detail and ability to work with team to
identify process improvements and ability to plan, organize, and
multi-task to meet competing deadlines.
Thrivent provides Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) without
regard to race, religion, color, sex, gender identity, sexual
orientation, pregnancy, national origin, age, disability, marital
status, citizenship status, military or veteran status, genetic
information, or any other status protected by applicable local,
state, or federal law. This policy applies to all employees and job
Thrivent is committed to providing reasonable accommodation to
individuals with disabilities. If you need a reasonable
accommodation, please let us know by sending an email to
email@example.com or call 800-847-4836 and request Human
Keywords: Thrivent Financial for Lutherans, Appleton , Principal Accountant, Other , Appleton, Wisconsin
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!