Surgical First Assistant - Operating Room (OR)
Company: Ministry Health Care, WI
Posted on: September 7, 2018
Job ID: 245240 Surgical First Assistant - Operating Room (OR) Appleton, Wisconsin Regular / Rotating Additional Job Information Title: First Assistant-Surgical City, State: Weston, WI & Stevens Point, WI Location: SCH St. Clare's Hospital & SMH St. Michael's Hospital Department: Float Staffing 003 Additional Job Details: Full-Time Rotating, 40 Hours Weekly, 8 Hour Shifts, On-call Schedule (1-2 weekdays/week and 1 weekend call every 2-3 weeks) About Us In Wisconsin, Ascension operates 24 hospitals and hundreds of related healthcare facilities that together employ more than 23,500 associates. Across the state, Ascension provided more than $230 million in community benefit and care of persons living in poverty in fiscal year 2016. Serving Wisconsin for 169 years, Ascension is a faith-based healthcare organization committed to delivering compassionate, personalized care to all, with special attention to persons living in poverty and those most vulnerable. Ascension is the largest non-profit health system in the U.S. and the world's largest Catholic health system, operating 2,500 sites of care - including 141 hospitals and more than 30 senior living facilities - in 24 states and the District of Columbia. Visit We're looking for talented associates to join us as we continue advancing healthcare across Wisconsin. Job Description Job Summary: The First Assistant-Surgical provides direct assistance to surgeons during surgical procedures. Responsibilities:
- Positions patient to give best exposure for surgical procedure, using stabilizing equipment when necessary, while maximizing patient comfort and safety.
- Provides visualization of the operative site using appropriate method, including manipulation of tissue and materials, retraction, sponging, suctioning and irrigation.
- Utilizes appropriate technique to achieve temporary and permanent hemostasis.
- Assists with body plane closure, application of wound dressings and securing of drainage systems.
- Assist in room clean up and the removal of the soiled case cart, supplies, and trash from OR room as needed at the completion of the surgical case.
- Participates as a surgical team member in the preparation of the surgical suite according to surgeon's preference cards with appropriate instruments, resources and supplies.
- Required Credential(s):
- BLS Provider credentialed from the American Heart Association (AHA) obtained prior to hire date or job transfer date.
- One or more of the following:
- Certified Surgical Technologist with two (2) full years of first assisting experience during the last four (4) years OR must have completed an approved Surgical Assistant program. Recent, active experience as a Surgical Assistant, in the past 24 months, accepted in lieu of certification.
- Preferred Credential(s):
- Surgical Assistant credentialed from the National Board of Surgical Technology and Surgical Assisting (NBSTSA). Education:
- HS or Equivalent
- High School Diploma or equivalent required Graduate of an accredited Surgical Technologist program required Graduate of an accredited Surgical First Assistant certificate program preferred Work Experience:
- Meets the CSM behaviors/competencies of a Surgical First Assistant/Tech required. How To Apply We urge you to apply to any/all positions that you have interest in, and should you fit the qualifications for the role we will certainly reach out to you. Please ensure you complete all required fields within the application (indicated with an asterisk), as well additional information that is requested of you. Information that you offer us will better assist us in understating your qualification and fit for the position(s) you've applied. Also to note, our online application system may not be compatible with non-Windows based operating systems (iPhones, iPads, or Mac Computers) or non-internet Explorer browsers. Please note that Ascension, and its affiliates and subsidiaries, will make an offer of employment only to individuals who have applied for a position using our official application. Be on alert for possible fraudulent offers of employment. Ascension will not solicit money or banking information from applicants. Equal Employment Opportunity Ascension Wisconsin is an equal opportunity employer and will not discriminate against employees or prospective employees on basis of age, race, creed, color, religion, marital status, sex, national origin, ancestry, citizenship, sexual orientation, disability, arrest and/or conviction record, military status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic or status protected by law. For further information regarding your EEO rights, click on the following link to the "EEO is the Law" poster: M/F/Disabled/Vet EEO is the Law Poster Supplement Share: -->
Keywords: Ministry Health Care, WI, Appleton , Surgical First Assistant - Operating Room (OR), Healthcare , Appleton, Wisconsin
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!